I remember the first time I looked at myself, thinking ‘Wow. I can name one thing I do not like about myself on each part of my body.’ I was in fifth grade. Can you believe that most kids’ worst punishment was losing recess while mine was myself? As that little girl, I began to compare myself to others. Rather than seeing myself as unique, I would picture my differences from other girls as flaws in myself. The next stop in my self-hate journey was to douse myself in negativity about my personality. Am I too nice? Am I too mean? Why do people sometimes call me annoying? Am I arrogant? The list goes on and on.
As I mature, my flaws transform into triumphs. I am no longer afraid of who I am. My eyes are big and brown, but they are outlined beautifully with little green specks spread about the retina. My eyebrows are bold, accenting my eyes. They show my determination. My physique is strong, voicing that I am a strong woman. Anyone who tried to harm me will fail. More importantly, my face is soft. Not the feeling, but the characteristic. If you look at me, you will see that I have gone through more than most do in a lifetime, but I am the poster child of perseverance. I am the person that would hold an unwanted, broken heart until it is nurtured back to life. Because I know what it is like to be someone that does not like themselves, I will always put in the effort to be the strength of someone that does not know how to be their own yet. Everyone has beauty, just not everyone sees it.
Follow these few steps to make life just a little bit easier.
1) Get ready every day. Do your hair and makeup every day if it makes you feel nice. Keep it natural if you want to, but get ready.
2) Find one thing that acts as an outlet for bad feelings. Mine is writing. I write the most gruesome things if that is how I’m feeling, because no one has to see it. No one has to know. Exercise if that is your outlet. Maybe you like gardening. Just find one thing that helps you.
3) Remember your morals and beliefs.
4) Make your bed. If you make your bed, you have accomplished one thing for the day. It will make you proud and you will want to accomplish more. If you have a bad day, you have successfully finished one task for the day.
5) Have gratitude. Feel happiness in even the smallest things like having a cup of coffee in the morning or receiving a smile on the bus.
6) Be happy. Love. Live a little.
As you begin to take care of yourself in little, but important ways, your persona will start to feel at ease. Be someone that you love. You have the power the do one of two things; you can be your best friend or your own worst enemy. Which will it be?